Platform: PS3 and PC
Our Score: 5 Stars
A high quality joystick at a budget price, in summary, we cannot praise the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X highly enough and highly recommend it for the casual and hardcore flight simulator gamer.
- Unique: Plug & Play for ultra-simple and fast installation with all functions pre-configured for immediate takeoff (without worrying about configuration)
- Detachable, real-size, ergonomically-designed throttle control
- Dual-system aerodynamic control: by rotating handle (with integrated blocking system) or by progressive tilting lever
- High-precision joystick with adjustable resistance
- Wide hand-rest for optimal comfort
- Weighted base for greater stability
- Exclusive “PRESET” button”: to switch, while playing, instantly from one programme to another
- Internal memory: to save all of your programming, even with the joystick disconnected
- Exclusive “MAPPING” button: all functions may be instantly switched around between each other
- Programmable: the 12 buttons and 5 axles are entirely programmable.
- Trigger for brakes (civil flight) or for rapid fire (military flight) + multi-directional hat (panoramic view)
This Joystick is one of the every best we have come across. Well that’s not entirely accurate. There are much more expensive joysticks around that will give you great responsive control and a heightened experience but the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X is undoubtedly one of the best we have come across in this budget price range.
Lets face it, unless you are a die hard flight sim fan, the chances are, your Joystick is not going to get near as much attention as your average console controller or keyboard and mouse. Therefore, if you are in the market for a high quality joystick but not looking to spend much, this is undoubtedly the best you will come across.
Beginning with the look and feel of the product, it spells high quality through and through. The construction is solid and robust and the joystick can be detached from the throttle. It has a weighty feel which gives you confidence in its stability. The design is beautiful and the grip is comfortable that will make long gaming sessions easier. The split control allows for greater comfort and control as does the 12 buttons that can be mapped with ease.
When we installed it, we could not believe how quick and simple it was. Simply plug it in, let Windows find and install the drivers and you are good to go. Its compatible for the PS3 and PC but remember to make sure the “mode” selector is on the right selection.
The joystick does not come with any button assignment software but this is not really a problem as most games have preset button maps for the controller.
We experienced high accuracy when playing games like Elite Dangerous with very little dead spots.
My only complaint is that if you have tried some other Joystick models such as any of the Saiteks, you will note that this throttle feels lighter or less weightier. It takes a little getting used to but you will only notice this if you have come from a Joystick such as the Saitek. Otherwise you will not notice its a bit on the light side.
The split setup allows better posture rather than being cramped over the side by side single unit setup. This inevitable gives you greater control.
In conclusion the price to quality ratio here is brilliant. We cannot praise this enough, its an absolute bargain for the gaming equipment you are getting here. If you have not picked one up already, we would suggest picking this up right away. Click here for best prices.
This list is not exhaustive and valid at the time of this review.
- PC : Flight Simulator X Microsoft, the most popular flight simulator
- PC : Microsoft Flight
- PS3: Afterburner Climax by Sega
- PS3: Blazing Angels 2 by Ubisoft
- PS3: Birds of Steel by Konami
- PS3: IL-2 Sturmovik Birds of prey 505 Games
- PS3 & PC : Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X Ubisoft
- PS3 & PC : Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X.2 Ubisoft
**Learn how I make money on the web here.**